Tuesday

Execution: the result-driven life

BEYOND THE BUZZWORDS
By REYLITO A.H. ELBO




Have you read Rick Warren’s The Purpose Driven Life? It’s one popular book that is billed with “over 16 million copies sold!” that whenever we discuss its contents as a sharing feed in our household meetings at the Couples for Christ (CFC), suddenly everybody in the room stops and turns to listen.



Have you read Rick Warren’s The Purpose Driven Life? It’s one popular book that is billed with "over 16 million copies sold!" that whenever we discuss its contents as a sharing feed in our household meetings at the Couples for Christ (CFC), suddenly everybody in the room stops and turns to listen.

Well, that’s pretty much what happened when it’s my turn to speak, particularly when I said something I’d rather be result-driven than purpose-driven. "Look, brothers and sisters—to improve and to change are two different things!"

Literally, a dozen "saintly" adults whirled around me to see who was making all of this unusual noise again. Suddenly, marital side conversations stopped so they could look at me. For all I know, I must proceed with a profuse apology, just the same.

"Please bear with me. I want to wear my managerial hat on top of my halo so that I could explain to you where I’m coming from.

"To know one’s purpose in life is equally important with the discipline of getting things done.

"But strictly, the discipline of getting things done is what matters the most. If we stand here and pray without working to achieve our goal, then nothing will happen. This is akin to what we Filipinos say: "Nasa tao ang gawa, nasa Diyos ang awa." (Read full story)

No comments: